Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

My Sketchbook is Full of Fish

I started planning out a character design last week for an axelotl gangster, because axelotls are amazing and perfect.


My first sketches stuck closer to the actual structure of the animal, with a barrel-chested physique that tapered towards his feet. I found this made him look a bit too noble for my tastes, though -- I wanted him to be more like a goon who enjoys picking fights and carrying out the dirty work.


Here I was still figuring out the general shapes of his torso, neck, head, and arms. He gained a bit more personality and a bad habit. I had some vague ideas for his body shape and posture, but still he didn't look sleazy enough.


Started to hit the vein I was going for here. I landed on an S shape for his body with limbs that tapered more near the ends, inspired by this guy, and also this guy. I wanted to keep a sort of rounded semi-circle shape to his head, but not without separating it too much from his neck, so the curve of his spine would stay fluid and slithery. He still needs work, but I can already picture him busting up some do-gooders.

No comments:

Post a Comment